“I’m against very wealthy people attempting to or influencing elections. But as long as it’s do-able I’m going to do it.”
Sheldon Adelson, speaking to Forbes magazine in February 2012.
So, who is Sheldon Adelson? According to the people at Forbes, he is the 12th richest human being on the planet, with a net worth of around $38 billion . . . give or take a couple of hundred million dollars – small change when you’re that rich.
His Forbes bio adds that he’s a “self-made” man, who grew up sleeping on the floor of a Boston tenement.
Wikipedia provides a little more info:
- He’s an “American business magnate, investor and philanthropist.”
- He owns casinos in Las Vegas, Singapore, Hong Kong, and who knows where else.
- He was the largest donor to Donald Trump’s presidential campaign ($25 million).
- His father’s family was of Ukrainian-Jewish and Lithuanian-Jewish ancestry.
- His beginnings on the road to self-made mega-wealth were assisted by loans from a rich uncle.
- In 2015, he paid over $9 million dollars to the Securities and Exchange Corporation to sidestep charges under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- He owns newspapers in Israel that corner more than 50% of readership exposure.
- While not actually owning any TV channels, he seems to use lawsuits to get rid of unfriendly journalists and ensure positive personal coverage for himself.
- He has “waged some bitter anti-union battles in Las Vegas” and is an outspoken opponent of the Democrat Party whom he sees as sympathetic to trade unions.
- In addition to that $25 million “donation” to Trump’s campaign, he handed over a further $40 million to the Republican Party and another $5 million to help them celebrate their victory in the presidential election.
- He is on record as suggesting that US negotiations with Iran would be facilitated by dropping a nuclear warhead in the desert as a warning of what might follow.
- He “hijacked” the Israeli-American Council, turning it into a “political lobbying group on Israel-related issues.”
- George W Bush took him to Jerusalem in 2008 for Israel’s 60th anniversary celebrations.
- He is on record as agreeing with Newt Gingrich “that the Palestinians are an invented people.”
Why am I telling you this? According to a report in the New York Times yesterday:
“Ten days before Donald J. Trump took office, Sheldon G. Adelson went to Trump Tower for a private meeting. Afterward, Mr. Adelson, the casino billionaire and Republican donor, called an old friend, Morton A. Klein, to report that Mr. Trump told him that moving the American Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem would be a major priority.
“He was very excited, as was I,” said Mr. Klein, the president of the Zionist Organization of America, a hard-line pro-Israel group. “This is something that’s in his heart and soul.”
So, my dear liberal friends in America – Stop getting your knickers in a twist about your “democratically elected” President, Mr Trump. Start doing something about your corrupt electoral system that allows amoral, selfish mega-rich tycoons, whatever their religious or ethnic background, to pull the strings of your country’s economy, foreign policy . . . its very existence!